The Equality Act 2010 introduced a Single Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED) that applies to all public bodies including maintained schools.
Under the terms of the Equality Act the school has a general duty to show that it has ‘due regard’ to:
- Eliminating unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Act
- Advancing equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
- Fostering good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
To further the general duty the Government also introduced new specific duties which require schools to:
publish information to demonstrate how they are complying with the Public Sector Equality Duty, and
prepare and publish equality objectives.
The document below sets out our position regarding these duties.
Our long term school aims can be found below.
Our specific objectives linked to the equality duty are;
- To promote spiritual, moral, social and cultural development through all appropriate curricular and extra-curricular opportunities . We aim to meet this objective with particular reference to issues of equality and diversity.
- To reduce prejudice and increase understanding of equality through direct teaching across the curriculum.
- To move beyond deterministic notions of fixed ability and to model teaching and learning behaviours that avoid labelling.
- To narrow the gap between boys’ and girls’ attainment in writing.
- To promote cultural development and understanding through a rich range of experience, both in and beyond the school.
- To eradicate prejudice related bullying in relation to the protected characteristics listed in the Equality Act 2010.
- To tackle prejudice and promote understanding in relation to people with disabilities.
Please click through our other pages to get an insight in to the ways we promote equality of opportunity for all.
Click here to read about our enriching and engaging curriculum, providing equal opportunities for all.
Click here to read about our SEN (D ) local offer
Click here to visit our gallery to see the range of exciting things we do, providing equal opportunties for all.
Click here to see the ways in which we engage with our community.
Click here to read about how we spend our pupil premium money, ensuring all children are supported and encouraged to succeed.
Click here to read about our behaviour management strategies and procedures.